Sanctuary of the Virgin of the Head
Virgen de la Cabeza
The Basilica and Royal Sanctuary of the Blessed Virgen de la Cabeza is a sanctuary located in the Sierra de Andújar Natural Park, in the place known colloquially as Cabezo Hill, 32 km north of the city of Andújar (Jaén). It is the place where the image of the Virgen de la Cabeza, patron saint of Andújar, is venerated.
The Basilica and Royal Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Head was initially built between 1287 and 1304 in the La Cabeza Hill, from which it takes the title of its dedication, and in which it had had the appearance of the image in the year 1227. During its existence it has undergone several transformations, the main one at the end of the 16th century by the architect Andrés de Vandelvira. The temple, of new plant after its almost complete destruction during the last Civil War, was elevated to the rank of minor basilica by papal brief of April 21, 2010.
Since 1933, they have been serving the cult in the Sanctuary and they keep the devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary throughout the year, the Trinitarians, who also accompany the image of the Virgin during the procession through the streets in the Pilgrimage of the month of April. It is tradition that two religious of this Order, raised in the litter, next to the venerated image of the Virgen de la Cabeza, bring to it, children and objects to receive their blessing and protection.
CONSTRUCTION Latest XIII century. Remodeled in XVI century
ACTUALLY Religious use. Mariano Museum
ADDRESS Ctra. A-6177, Km 30
SCHEDULE Open every day of the year
Winter 10:00 - 19:00.
Summer 9:00 - 20:00