Private or public use
The constructive activity between the second and third decade of the twentieth century was intense in the city. Years in which the local bourgeoisie will build comfortable houses located in the main arteries of Andujar: San Bartolome street, San Francisco Street and Ollerias.
The regionalist aesthetic is the preferred option, leaving the architect Anibal Gonzalez the most illustrious examples, such as the Aldehuela house or the Espejo house. Its typology responds to the same scheme: three floors, the interior space organized around a central patio that is accessed by means of a hall and the facade articulated with beautiful viewpoints and balconies.
The Espejo house (Mirror House) is one of the best examples of regional architecture in the town. Designed in 1927 by the architect Anibal Gonzalez Alvarez, one of the greatest exponents of regionalist architecture of the Andalusian type, who put it in vogue from the direction of the contest of the Ibero-American Exhibition of Seville in 1929. Author of the Plaza de España (Spain Square) in Seville, of the palace of Fine Arts, of plateresque style, and that of the Decorative Arts, of Mudejar style.
Elias house is a project of 1916, in which elements as diverse as glazed ceramics, exposed brick, wrought-iron gazebo and bicolor wall are combined in an attractive way, and it is a beautiful example of regionalist architecture.
Its typology responds to the scheme of: three floors, the interior space organized around a central patio which is accessed by means of a hall and the facade articulated with beautiful viewpoints and balconies.
Casa Elias is located in front of Sala Lola's (former Tivoli cinema) and is usually called Casa Elias, because there was a doctor's consultation with that name.
Guerrero House (Ollerias Street, 13) it is one of the earliest and most interesting examples of local regional architecture. Built in 1924, its facade made of red brick and ocher, has a beautiful viewpoint very characteristic in this type of architecture.
On the San Bartolome slide we find the Rueda house, from the first half of the 20th century. Its facade, with a balcony with a wrought iron railing, is finished with two lookout towers. The balconies that fall under the viewpoints are crowned by a decorative drawing on the ledge.
After the Civil War (1939), the Market Square suffers an intense performance, carried out by the General Directorate of Devastated Regions. In this space were located some of the best examples of the city's baroque civil architecture: the palace of the Marquis del Puente, that of the Count of Gracia Real and that of the Marquis de San Rafael. Nothing remains of it as a result of misfortune and neglect. Buildings such as Post office and Telegraphs, the work of the architect Prieto Moreno (1943) or public spaces reinvented take their place today.
Association of Friends of the Patrimony of Andujar